Forum home Plants

Mushrooms good or bad?

Hi, my garden is quite overgrown in some places, last Thursday I cut the grass and today I have found these mushrooms. In the 11 years I’ve lived here I have never had mushrooms growing, are they a good thing to have or not? 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,339
    They'll be gone soon. Ignore them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,933
    edited September 2021
    They’re the fruiting bodies of the vast amount of mycelium underground which is breaking down organic matter into a form accessible by the roots of your plants. Very useful. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you, good to know they are useful :) 
  • And I think they’re also beautiful. 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,838
    They could be Fairy Ring Champignon mushrooms, Marasmius oreades. A photo of the underside of one of them showing the gills and stem would be useful to help identify them. If they are then they would be useful, beautiful and tasty.
    BUT - don't ever be tempted to eat any wild mushroom unless you have had an expert mycologist identify them accurately in person.

• Thanks, they have a greenish tinge to the underside of them, are these photos better for identification? I wouldn’t attempt to eat them more worried they might be poisonous and harm my cat if he was to go near them. 

They are beautiful, amazing too how they seem to just appear from nowhere - I thought someone had thrown bread all over the garden before I went to have a closer look! 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,838
    edited September 2021
    Good photo, very useful for I.D. Definitely not Fairy Ring Champignon. I'll have a longer look later to see if I can identify it. Don't worry about your cat, they have more sense than to eat random mushroom.
  • steephill said:
    ....Don't worry about your cat, they have more sense than to eat random mushroom.
    Unlike us humans 😉