Forum home Plants

Please ID this seedling - is it aquilegia?

I recently collected and potted a few seedlings from the garden in the hope that they are aquilegia.  I only have the one plant and a few more would be nice even though I know they are not going to be the same as the original (it’s Bluebird from the songbird series).

However, the leaves are darker and less delicate than my original plant and I’m having doubts.  Hopefully I’m not trying to grow some sort of pernicious weed!

Thank you in advance.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    No - not Aquilegia. 
    I can't remember the name of it though - sorry  :s
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Definitely not aquilegia. 

Reminds me of something 🤔  … do you grow veg or herbs in your garden?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you Fairygirl and Dovefromabove, you’ve confirmed my gut feeling.

No I don’t grow any veg or herbs, my next door neighbour does but I don’t know exactly what.

It would be great if someone could identify the plant but if not I’ll hang on to the pots until next year and maybe I’ll get a nice surprise.
  • Looking forward to seeing what appears 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Could they be Ranunculus ? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,789
    I think you could be right @Lyn.
    I grew some this year - first time in yonks, and they're in the greenhouse. Looks just like them. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you Lyn and Fairygirl.  I’ll go with ranunculus and see what happens.  I’ve never grown any before but I’m guessing someone near us has been.
  • Duh!  Yes … prize goes to @Lyn 🏅