Forum home Problem solving

Buying a New Greenhouse - Hints and Tips Please

CDouchCDouch South Devon Posts: 69
I’m just about to purchase a new greenhouse but before I take the plunge I want to make sure I’ve thought of everything as I’ve never had one before. The photo I’ve attached is the space where it will be situated, my husband will lay a concrete base for it to stand on. The width of the area is 6 foot and the greenhouse I’m looking at is 4 ft 10 inches wide which will leave about 6 inches between the greenhouse and the fence on one side and the raised bed on the other.  Will this be enough space for whatever maintenance is needed, either side? Is maintenance mainly glass cleaning? 

Should I be considering other things? I’ve chosen a Halls Cotswold Eden Birdlip 4 ft 10 in by 8 ft 5 in with auto vents, louvre vents and staging and guttering and water barrel! Is there anything else I would definitely need?

Many thanks 😊 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,067
    I'm really skinny but very much doubt I could squeeze into a 6" gap and do cleaning and maintenance by the fence.
    As far as I recall, the glass is installed from the outside, so quite how you'd do that in a 6" gap I'm not sure
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • CDouchCDouch South Devon Posts: 69
    Ah thank you, yes I’d not thought of installing the glass from the outside, oh dear what a dilemma! I’d better look for narrower ones 🙁
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    Could you take out the raised bed (maybe reassemble it further over) to make more room for the greenhouse? it might be worth considering if you can't find one that's narrow enough. I would think any less than 4' wouldn't have room to have staging on one side and room to work in there.
    Hi @JennyJ no we can’t move the raised bed and I definitely want to keep that! I’ve just been looking at a greenhouse website and some are pictured up against fences/walls with glass on that side so I’m hoping I can have it next to the fence as that will then give me space for the 4 ft 8 inch one which is 8 ft 5 inch long.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,067
    Why not give Halls a call and explain your situation?

I have a Rhino greenhouse and when I called them with a list of queries they were more than happy to help - and they got a sale as thanks from me :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I'm glad you found one that fits.
  • Maintenance of the GH won't necessarily just be cleaning the glass - a broken side or roof pane ( hopefully not ) will mean you needing access with or without a step ladder. You may also need to access your fence at some point - maintenance, repair, painting/staining or WHY.
    If you are very slim and  agile, you may get away with squeezing into the 6" gap but you could find it difficult to actually do anything once in there ;)
    GH websites showing the structure up against another structure are all very well - they are simply publicity shots rather than showing what is practical :)
  • Just looked at them, does the price include everything you mentioned?  Nearly a grand, I wouldn't position one next to a fence,in case heavy wind what ever brings the fence down. Ideally they need to be in the most open and sunny aspect of your garden. Yes,glass goes in on the outside,but 4 people could move one. Glass needs cleaning, gutters emptying and maintaining. I don't know if you've gone for safety glass, horticultural glass does break. Get the biggest you can afford and fit in,it's never enough. We inherited a Halls 6 by 8 and lean to 6 by 4,both with power. Aluminium,we bought a 6 by 8 green safety glass one which is in the veg plot right down the bottom of the garden,no power. Have just bought another 6 by 4 lean to which is going next to the other one.
    Hi @Nanny Beach the price doesn’t include everything, I’ve added toughened glass and vents etc and it’s more like £1600.  We can access the fence on the other side as it’s a private lane. But it’s the only place we can put it really, it’s a very sunny spot and everywhere else in our garden is allocated to other things ….. dilemma?!
    Hi @Pete.8 I think I will give them a call and explain my dilemma. Thanks everyone 😊