Forum home Plants

Verbena Bonariensis

Hi everyone.  I have a lot of Verbena Bonariensis in my garden and it’s been absolutely beautiful for many years. I usually leave it until the Spring before cutting it down but last Winter the rain and high winds broke it all down and it was just laying over the paths and surrounding plants making the garden look awful.  Can I cut it down in Autumn and if I do will it come back next year? I don’t want to lose it all.  Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks, Duncan

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    I don't think it will affect their winter hardiness if you cut them down by half. Maybe dig up a clump to overwinter in a sheltered spot if you're concerned but mine have never really been dented by winter cold/wet (Nottingham urban)
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    I think it will be fine. I cut mine down for the same reason. The only problem with it would be an exceptionally harsh winter, but in that case, it wouldn't matter if you had cut it back or not.
  • I lost a couple of hardy things unexpectedly last year when it got down to about -12 and snowed twice- things I had cut back in late autumn to make things tidy- so it is a risk if you cut back things now. That said if they are very established plants it'll *probably* be ok. Perhaps you could mulch them well with bark for some extra protection if you do cut them.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,905
    Cut back a bit, and then use those pieces as cuttings @duncan.smith775  :)

I often lose them over winter here, so a back up is useful.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...