Forum home Problem solving

lavendar

i bought 2 lavender plants from a nursery last week, they looked healthyand have lots of flowers buds.One plant is thriving very well, but on is already drooping and looks like it is dying, i have noticed lots and lots  of little black seed like things on the floor around the plant, could these be bugs and the cause of the plant drooping? The plants are in a sheltered sunny spot, i live in Spain

• Jac19Jac19 Worthing, South Coast of EnglandPosts: 496
    edited September 2021
    I have learned from experience that lavenders suffer and die mainly from root rot from too much moisture. They like very highly drained soil with little moisture capture, or their roots rot.  And they don't like all this rich manure and moisture retaining compost.  To save it, uproot and dig a fair size hole where it was.  Put in John Innes No 2 or no 3 compost which is very sandy with strong draining and holds very little moisture.  Then plant it back in the not rich, sandy, strongly drained soil.

You can buy John Innes No. 2/3 in a garden centre or Wickes or B&Q or online.  A small bag is cheap.

You could add a granular fertilizer like Fish, Blood, and Bone around the root at the top and mix the granules into the soil with your fingers.

Water a little only if it does not rain like only once a week.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,444
    Hello @margaretbirks942 and welcome to the forum  :)
    Are these lavender in containers or have you planted them in the ground?
    Whereabouts in Spain are you and what has the weather been like recently?
    Some photos of the plants and where they are would help us to advise you properly.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,190
    If it's in a pot - it probably needs watered. It's a common error to think that because they like sun and heat, and free draining soil, that they'll be fine in a container without much water.  It isn't the same as when they're in the ground and adapted to the conditions.  :)
    However, if it's in the ground, a photo will help with advice - especially with the little black things - they might just be flowers that have gone to seed, and the seed has dropped .  :)
    The icon that looks like hills is the one for uploading photos  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I agree with @Fairygirl ... even lavender needs regular watering after planting out until their established ... which can be a full season ... in Spain they'll need more water than in the UK ... many folk make the mistake of thinking that Mediterranean plants don't need much water ... they actually need a fair bit ... what they need is free-draining soil so that the water passes through and drains away quickly so their roots aren't sitting in boggy soil.

This is a helpful site for lavender care ... but you must bear in mind that it's written for UK gardeners with UK conditions rather than those gardening  in Spain https://downderry-nursery.co.uk/lavender-care/

Also, one thing we've not asked about ... are we talking about English lavender Lavandula angustifolia or French lavender Lavandula dentata?  They require slightly different care. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jac19Jac19 Worthing, South Coast of EnglandPosts: 496
    edited September 2021
    Okay, agreed.  Water needed, but it should drain really well.
  • Thank you all for your very helpful replies.So far i have learnt that the plants required water! I thought that lavender enjoyed drought conditions ( but not in containers) , also the little black bugs were indeed seeds.!!!
    I have watered them, and they drained quite quickly so i assume the soil is quick draining. I live in a coastal town 20 km south of Barcelona, the plants are on a balcony that gets sun most of the day.I have taken notes of how to feed them.I will keep re reading all of your comments as i dont want these to die!  Should i water every day ?
    As for the name of them , i took the labels off the pots and now cant find them, but i attach photos so perhaps you can tell me. I do hope that you say the plants look ok 🤞🤞 cant find out how to attach photos ????
  • found out how to attach photos!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,406
    This is guess and maybe someone can confirm, but is it a dentata variety? 
    https://downderry-nursery.co.uk/product/dentata-var-candicans/

Looks like it .... more tender than the types usually grown in the UK.

I think yours need bigger pots ... that way they'll need watering a bit less often, and the roots will be able to take up the moisture more efficiently.