Forum home Problem solving

Transplanting Rose Bush

Hi all, we are moving home and would like to take a rose that was a wedding present with us. Ideally I would like to hard prune it to make it more manageable to move, how much can I get away with taking off? 

Any wise words and advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

• I would lightly prune,get into a big pot,asap,put it in the shade,and give plenty of water.
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,245
    If you can, wait until it's dormant before digging it up.  When are you moving?  As it's now September and approaching the dormant season; I would leave it as long as possible. If the move is immanent, do as @Nanny Beach advises, retaining as much root as possible.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 993
    I needed to move this very old rose, about 1.5m tall and wide
    1 June 2020
    26 August 2020It was planted out early spring this year and here it is today
  • Redwing said:
    If you can, wait until it's dormant before digging it up.  When are you moving?  As it's now September and approaching the dormant season; I would leave it as long as possible. If the move is immanent, do as @Nanny Beach advises, retaining as much root as possible.
    Thanks very much for your reply and advice, yes the move is immanent so will be following Nanny’s advice and take onboard yours re the roots too. Many thanks again, much appreciated. 
  • Thanks Nanny Beach, really appreciate your wise words, I’ll will go pot shopping tomorrow morning. The rose is about 3m tall at the moment so will need to take some height off her just to get her in the van. Thanks again for your reply and advice.
  • Thanks too Tack, looks like yours is flourishing in her new spot. It’s tempting to chop mine down really short too for ease of moving but nervous of killing her off… thanks for your reply and photos. 
  • Depending where you live," the dormant period", well where I am SE UK the roses will be happily flowering in November. Definitely remove buds, and flowers, save the energy, (should have told you that before)Leave it in its pot overwinter.Dont feed it, you dont want "soft" new growth.