Forum home Problem solving

Should it stay or should it go now?

Hello gardeners, complete novice here. This small hedge was here when we moved in 16 years ago and I very much see it as the fabric of the house. However I’ve been advised that it’s run through with insects and it’s now their food source. The advice is to remove it as it’s so difficult to eradicate the pest, even if I cut it back harshly. Can anyone advise? Many thanks in advance! O

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    Hi @owaynehaughtonpr7v4_SI - I think you might have Viburnum there, so the damage could be Viburnum beetle. 

Have a look here and see if it fits the problem you have 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=556
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Perfect! It was identified as a viburnum and the link is 100% the issue. May have to opt for removal as were abroad next week till next year and then only back intermittently so not around to keep on top of the infestation. In any case MANY THANKS for taking the time and the identification 👍🏾
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    No problem :)
    If it's any consolation - cutting them back hard often gets rid of the problem. It can take a few years for them to get back to full strength though. Your situation will dictate what you do though    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....