Forum home Problem solving

Suggestions for planting on a South facing site.

I am currently removing an old/tired Lilac bush.  I would ideally like to replace it with something evergreen for privacy all year round as I only have a chain link fence between myself and my neighbour and it is where they sit to entertain. I am thinking maybe a Choisya, Escollonia Hebe, Viburnum as I know they look good all year round. A couple of questions, Does anyone know of a taller Hebe (approx 4-6ft?) Do all Viburnum's get V.beetle? 
The position is South facing, on chalky soil and is approx' 8ft wide,  two plants might be nice. Your suggestions and advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

• Hello. Choisya is good because of the scented flowers - some varieties are bigger than others. The Hebe's I know are fairly small and slow growing.

Other suggestions you could consider: Euonymus, Pittosporum, Griselinia littoralis, Elaeagnus ebbingei, Pyracantha.
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 645
    edited September 2021
    I just got some Choisya ‘Scented Gem’ which I really like for its fine deep green leaves. The tag says max height is 1 to 1.5m, and width is 1m.

I had a small Escallonia ‘Iveyi’ hedge which was great, but I lost it this year to leaf spot.

The viburnums in my neighbourhood are riddled with holes from Viburnum beetle, so I didn’t get that.

I would second @Pianoplayer’s suggestions, especially a pittosporum. I have Pittosporum tenuifulum ‘Tandara Gold’ which is very low maintenance and looks good all year.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 770
    Thank you @Pianoplayer for your suggestions. I do have some Euonymus on the other side of the garden but I will have a look at different varieties, (mine do not flower, are they supposed to do you know?) I also have Pyracantha. I have one Hebe (no idea which it is one that is approx 1m x 1m and have seen larger ones in other people's gardens. Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.   :)
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 770
    Thank you @Athelas for your reply. I  had not heard of Choisya Scented Gem so I will definitely look into that. Choisyas do very well in my garden, I have currently have White Dazzler and Sundance. I will also consider the Pittosporum you mentioned.  :) many thanks.