Forum home Plants

Underneath the star jasmine…

Hi

I’ve a very tiny garden: probably 3m by 3m - perhaps a tiny bit bigger.

I’m trying create an evergreen ‘yard’. On the south west facing wall, I have a couple of star jasmines, along with the viney type jasmine which goes wild and I feel I need to remove, which is in the middle. I’d like something evergreen to grow below or under the star jasmine as they grow. Preferably with either a blue or red colour when in flower. The space between the patio slabs and wall is only around six inches, the soil isn’t great and I don’t want it to intrude over the slabs too much( I’m limited on sitting space!)

Just to note, I have a strip of ferns in shade along the north east wall, and a mixture of star jasmine, Japanese golden grass and purple heucheras along the north west wall.

Cheers

Mike

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,894
    Ajuga will grow there. You'd need to water well until established, and then it'll do it's own thing. Blue flowers and great for bees etc too. 
    Anything bigger will probably struggle  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you! Yep - I opted for the ajuga.
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    I don't think I have any evergreens in my garden.
  • Jac19Jac19 Posts: 496
    edited September 2021
    Fairygirl said:
    Ajuga will grow there. You'd need to water well until established, and then it'll do it's own thing. Blue flowers and great for bees etc too. 
    Anything bigger will probably struggle  :)
    Ajuga sounds AMAZING!  What a find!! I have been looking for early flowering plants for bees.  And for plants to go against my shady north facing wall. I will get some, too.  Thanks, Fairygirl.

https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/ajuga-reptans-atropurpurea/classid.218/