Forum home Problem solving

Verbena Bonariensis are leaning/flopping

I recently planted some new Verbena Bonariensis as well as the Rigida type, not sure if we had some rain overnight but the B's are all listing to one side and as you can see in the first photo one of the stalks is totally bent, I have no idea what to do - any advice?  They are still flowering, it's also happened on the shorter 'Rigida'.

I found a plant support in the garage - just stuck it in there until I could get some proper advice in here - actually, I have no idea what that support is for but it has been holding my phlox back quite nicely. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,503
    edited September 2021
    It’s what Verbena bonariensis are supposed to do … they lean and sway elegantly among the other flowers in the border. 
    It is not in their nature to stand to attention. 
    Trying to make them do so is futile and will look very odd.

Grow them amongst other plants as in the picture above. 

And no I wouldn’t cut off that bloom … there’s no reason to … but it’s up to you 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    I have mine in amongst other plants. It's really the way to grow them. Trussing them up with supports rarely looks good, but it'll do the job for now. If you can get them in behind some sturdy plants, that's the solution. 
    Grasses are good for that, but lots of other tall perennials are also good. You can  also cut them back a little in late spring/early summer which will make them slightly shorter and create a bit more branching. The cut off bits can then be used as cuttings for new plants.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
    I love the leaning, swaying, "I wanna reach for the stars but I'm now too big so gotta lean" nature of them.  Mine leans against the wall like someone who's had a few too many in a pub garden on a hot day.

Once you accept this what they do then it becomes charming (IMO).

Or you can pop in some plants next to them so they have something to lean against/to prop 'em up.

I think of them as someone at a concert who has their arms up in the air swaying to a slow song.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,380
    I've had some that have woven through  a climbing  rose and ended up a good  6ft high
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,241
    The flopping over ones still look good.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,380
    If they're  hanging over the path, I  plait them together 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    You've taken that too far @TheGreenMan :D

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
    Fairygirl said:
    You've taken that too far @TheGreenMan :D
    Perhaps! 😂
     :D 

• ren.bren.b Posts: 158
    thank you everyone - everytime I look at them now I will hear S Club 7 :s

Are you supposed to cut them back in winter?  Deadhead?