Forum home Problem solving

Magnolia Soulangeana help!

2»

• I'd assume that it was a rooted cutting to start with, I can't see a graft point there, so I would just prune off the dead wood, and let the rest grow.
    Thanks. Would you cut off the leader as well?

If I do so could I later train one of the vertical shoots as a new leader?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,874
    In that case, I think @fidgetbones is right, and it's been a rooted cutting and not a graft.
    The damaged branch is just that - a damaged branch.  :)
    I don't think you can have a new leader as such, when you've really got a multi stemmed shrub. If the original leader is still healthy, you could leave it, but it may look lopsided because you have another, seemingly strong growing branch. 
    The frost would only affect new soft growth or buds. The damage to the branch will have been due to other factors. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Fairygirl

thanks!

Im pretty sure most of the leader is dead, with growth only at the bottom. When I pruned some of the branches at the top they were all brittle and brown inside.

Would it do any harm to leave the leader till next spring just to see? Or should I just prune it and give myself a healthy shrub instead of a potentially unhealthy tree? :) 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,874
    If it looks dead then I'd take it out. It hasn't got any foliage on it, which it should have, so I can't see it being healthy.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,896
    I agree with @Fairygirl.

Be aware that one of the reasons for grafting is to speed up the timespan until the tree is mature enough to flower ... a rooted cutting may take much longer to produce flowers.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,387
    edited 16 September
    Just prune the dead stuff off. It will sort itself out as to the shape.  I've just taken all the lower branches off mine, to let some light into the flower bed for bulbs beneath.  Usually  I just cut off dead stuff, or something likely to poke my eye out.
     Mine is 30 year old.  The main stem is 8 inches diameter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks all for your help, I will cut off the dead branch back to healthy growth and allow it to recover. 

It has already flowered actually, and did a second flower just a few weeks or so ago. Surprising actually for a cutting, because it was only 2 years old when I bought it and I’m pretty sure it was in flower then. Certainly flowered the year after! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,896
    It's really positive that it's flowered ... I look forward to seeing how it develops so I hope you can update us from time to time  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Dovefromabove

i certainly will! :)