Forum home Garden design

Help - Complete beginner gardener - New build

2»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,904
    You’re doing well then, seems you have acid soil where you live.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Lyn, I have tested and it's currently neutral  (bright green so perhaps pH 6.5 -7.0) - Should I be looking to add something to it?  The plan was farmyard manure to improve the quality.  It's quite sandy/gritty towards the top but definitely more clay like the deeper I go.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,583
    If you add loads of organic matter to the soil - that'll improve it. Well rotted manure, soil conditioner, compost etc.
    You can't fundamentally change the pH of your soil, but neutral is ideal for many shrubs trees and other plants. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Manure will raise pH wont it?  I need to add sulphur?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,583
    No.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you :) as a general rule of thumb can someone tell me how far away from the fence panels I should plat my trees so as not to interfere with post placement or cause a nuisance in others gardens as the trees mature?
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,716
    We have bamboo in pots,as a screen. Do we know what aspect your garden is, Japanese Maples prefer shade and protection from wind.if you are going Japanese or Zen,don't overplant or overfill. Dry "bed" white shingle, pebbles,we used a corner of our patio by the green house.a fee large pebbles,hubby made a red wooden bridge. Bought a golden lion,and stone lantern. I haven't got any pictures. We've moved this area,now have rhododendrons and Azaleas,all nicely Japanese. How about hydrangeas. Some sort of water feature

• Have a look at Liquidambers. (American sweet gum). There are upright or columnar forms that personally I think are ideal for smaller gardens.