Forum home Problem solving

Seedlings

We grow seeds but having potted them on they never seem to develop a good root system and never prosper. What are we doing wrong 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    Would need more info - and photos  :)
    You might be using the wrong ort of potting mix, they might be over or under watered, they might be getting moved on too soon, too big a pot when moved, too sunny and hot.

All, or a mix of, these things can be factors   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    Not enough light is common as well, if they're being grown on in the house. Makes them spindly and drawn and weak.
    Yes - I forgot that one @JennyJ  ;)

• We are growing in a greenhouse and use bought seedling compost. I am thinking it’s likely to be my lovely husband over watering as the compost just falls away when they come out of the pot. 
    Thank you for your help. 
    edited September 2021
    The best way with seedlings is - when in doubt - wait.
    Wait - until they have a good amount of roots showing in the tray/pot before potting on. Don't over pot - or  over water  ;)

Also - don't pot on into seed compost - they need something more hearty if they're being done in spring/summer.  :)

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    And also, are they warm enough? It took me a while to learn just how warm some half hardies have to be to thrive. Frost free isn't enough.
    Indeed @Posy. It depends on what the seed is that's being grown. 

I always laugh at the temps given on seed packets for Feb - April sowing :  sow at around 20 - 22 degrees. My house is rarely that warm for any length of time, especially in February! 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564
    I never go by the packets,  just the last month then ads some more.
    i think the February sowers use a propagator, but then what,   No where to keep them until May anyway. 
    I don’t like seed compost, heavy wet and claggy.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Indeed @Lyn - years of following advice on G's World too, until I realised it doesn't work here  ;)
    I don't like it either - never use it. Ordinary compost, with some perlite or similar is fine, especially if sowing in autumn. 

• borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 403
    I'm glad it's not just me who's struggling to like seed compost.  I mix about a third of multi-purpose into it just to open it out, otherwise I find it alternates between mud and rock.