Forum home Problem solving

What makes sedums flop like this?

2»

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,443
    if the soil is a bit rich it can make them flop. Grow them hard in gritty , well drained soil and they're more turgid .
    Devon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,131
    I did a Chelsea Chop in May (as recomm by the forum) - when the plants weren't that big. Below is how they were in July - coming back shorter and sturdier (not flopping). They are now flowering and doing really well - some just going over and some peaking (full sun, sandy soil). It's been a real pleasure to watch how they developed over the year, simple plants at the front of the bed. Snails have discovered them and have been chomping the leaves, which is a shame and the foliage is mangled.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,583
    Dividing them will certainly help - it takes a couple of years before they get to full size.
    Rich soil definitely encourages more soft growth.
    Most of mine are in front of a Hydrangea. Nice and dry, and only get later sun. They just start into  growth at the same time as the Hydrangea and it supports them.

Mine are only about a couple of  inches tall in mid/late May @Fire  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 326
    Mine that I inherited with the garden used to do this, but when we redid the garden they were moved to the top of a retaining wall and the drainage does wonders. I thin out the stems rather than chelsea chop, so the plant is less congested and there are only nice strong stems left.
  • EmerionEmerion Posts: 358
    Thanks for those suggestions @Fairygirl & @CharlotteF. I think the drainage is pretty good, but not like the top of a retaining wall. 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 576
    Agree with @Hostafan1; they flop more on rich soil. Poor(er) and dryer soil suit them quite well. A Chelsea chop does help, you're robbing the plant of some of its all too easy investment.