Forum home Problem solving

Sinking lawn

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,176
    Yes - avoid being on it @carebear82.cc other than to water if needed. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ah ok. We'd been advised to leave it for just the one week but having now googled it I see the general advice is more like several. Thanks
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,714
    edited September 2021
    Was the topsoil firmed down well before laying the turf? (usually done by treading all over it with your heels then raking lightly to level the surface). If not then it will settle over time as it gets walked on, rained on etc. If that's what happened, I think I would leave it over the winter to see how much it settles, then level it out. For minor hollows you can add topsoil a little at a time so that the grass can grow through it. Otherwise you can peel back the turf on the hollows and add topsoil underneath.

Edit: They did levelling hollows in a lawn on Beechgrove earlier this year - episode 5, near the beginning https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000vmvb/beechgrove-2021-episode-5

• No Jenny, we literally just put the top soil down and raked it. As you can imagine it was completely uneven 🤦🏻‍♀️ it's raining really heavy today so hopefully as you say it may settle over time. If not we'll have quite a job next spring! Thanks for the link, I'll take a look ,👍
    Oh dear, your "help" really didn't advise you very well :(. At least it looks green.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,176
    Was it the help that abandoned you early on that advised that too @carebear82.cc:/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I think I assumed that the "help" had been involved or at least seen it after the topsoil was put down because @carebear82.cc said that they'd laid one strip of turf, so they would have had an opportunity to check what had been done. Apologies if I misunderstood that.
  • Our help didn't flatten the soil as you've described either. I think he completely underestimated the job and with it being on a Saturday, he was eager to finish up. He didn't return the next day as promised so it was a case of do what you can really. You live and you learn though. We might make good landscapers after all of this!
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    If it's only been down a week it probably hasn't started rooting yet and, if it has, it will be minimal. I would be tempted to lift it, heel-in / roll the soil level, rake and re-lay. It's a pain but I fear you will be chasing this forever otherwise and you'll never be happy with the result.
  • Thanks Dave. You're right about the rooting, it hasn't yet so this is definitely an option