Forum home Problem solving

Ceanothus problem

We have what we are pretty sure is a Ceanothus in our garden. We moved here 7 years ago and it was quite well established then. It has always been well until recently when it appears to have died very suddenly. It flowers a magnificent blue/purple in Spring including this year. I have attached 2 photos, 1 from May 2020 and one taken today, 12/9/21. I did prune it late last year. Can anyone say of its dead or if I was to prune it right back would it come back? Any help much appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    I think that's an ex Ceanothus unfortunately.
    They can be short lived, so it isn't necessarily because of your pruning. The difficult weather conditions this year in many areas may well have contributed - very dry in earlier spring, so it may have suffered then. However, there seems to be lot of groundworks going on around it  - has it been damaged?

You could try taking off a branch or two to see if there's any life in it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for the prompt reply.
    We live in Bristol. The weather has been erratic here as I guess all over the UK. There was a decking area which we removed but we protected the tree as we didn't want to loose it. Sounds like it's the end then. 
    You might want to wait and see if there's any new growth @richardheath13tlIBV89e, but it doesn't look very promising unfortunately.
    These things can look as if they're sudden, but often, a plant can be struggling for a while, and a couple of events can just tip it over the edge. 

If it doesn't survive, you can boost the soil it's been in, and then plant something else you like.  :)

• Thank you @Fairygirl for the advice. We will see what happens but like you say think it's gone.
    It's a shame - but try and see it as an opportunity  ;)