Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bees not interested in Antirrhinums (Snapdragons)

Jac19Jac19 Worthing, South Coast of EnglandPosts: 496
Bees have not seemed interested in my 2 Snapdragons, even through they have been flowering well.  Is this your experience? 
Are there particular Snapdragons that are more attractive to them than others?

• The bees did like the snapdragons in my garden this year, despite the fact that I grow other plants that are more attractive to them. They’ve enjoyed both the ‘closed’ ones and the varieties with more open flowers.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    Bumble bees have enjoyed my snapdragons too - though I agree with @pitter-patter, that other flowers are more popular.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • YessicaHaircutYessicaHaircut Sussex coastPosts: 104
    My snapdragons have been constantly abuzz with bumblebees this summer.
  • Jac19Jac19 Worthing, South Coast of EnglandPosts: 496
    I will try different coloured ones this year, then.
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 284
    I've seen quite a few on mine. I don't know what variety they are. I'd collected seed from one which randomly appeared in my old garden. Most of them came up white, but there are a few pale pinks and pale yellows. Bumblebees seem to like them.
    Thanks.  I had a red and white "Night & Day" and they did not even look at it.

I will try the soft white, and pale yellows. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,517
    Some types of bees can access nectar from antirrhinums and some can’t. You may not have the right type of bee in your locality. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited September 2021
    Ah, that makes sense, Dove.  There were wild buttercups right next to it and they were rolling in them.
  • Hi folks my experience with Snapdragon plants is bumble bees and the carder bee seem to visit the yellow flowers more often what's your feeling on this . 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,696
    maybe the moths stole all the nectar?
    Devon.