Forum home The potting shed

What is happening to my Rose?

The leaves are slowly disappearing and a couple of the new buds are being eaten as well, I can't see anything obvious my local Garden Centre just sold me some Rose Clear but I'm not a pesticide user, so I'm a little scared to use it so any advice would be much appreciated? Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,640
    I think that might be from leaf cutter bees, but I can't see the detail in the photo very clearly.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you Fairygirl, I did wonder if it could be but would I not see this happening at some point or do they work at night? Hope this photo is clearer. Thanks
    I don't know - I've never had them. I don't grow roses now at all, but they're very attracted to them. They don't really do any harm to a healthy plant though  :)
    There might be a bit of vine weevil damage too, but their holes [caused by the adults]  are more notched, and generally quite small. You could take a look at images online to see what looks the best match.  :)
    Slug damage can look like that too, but you'd probably see slugs/snails around. I don't think they attack roses too much, but as I don't grow them, I'm not sure. I don't remember ever having any mollusc damage when I did grow them, and we certainly have no shortage here.

The bees would be around during the day. They use the foliage for their nests.  :)

• Thank you Fairygirl, I have now noticed that it's not just happening to my Rose, although just taken this shot of the Rose and this is what is left of a stem!

I'm finding it difficult to see the photos well enough. They're too blurry when I enlarge them   :)
    Although they like roses they'll also use other plants.
    Perhaps someone else can see the detail better than me  :)

• No worries, the last one is basically just a stem and the leaves have been eaten, thanks for taking the time to look  :)
  • Some damage in your photos does look like leaf cutter bees, which isn’t anything to worry about. The leaf cutter bees have also used lots of leaves from my amelanchier, so they do use other plants as well. In your second photo, it looks a bit like sawfly larvae damage. It might be a combination of both.
  • I never use any pesticides. I enjoy watching the bees cut circles in the leaves and fly with them. I try to remove as many sawfly larvae as I can: I do this by cutting the entire leaf and putting it in the council garden bin.

• Thank you pitter-patter, I'm just worried that there will be no rose left as some of the new buds have been got at also, I have been watching the rose all afternoon and I have many bees on the Lavender but nothing has gone near the rose.
  • The rose will be fine, the leaves that are visible look very healthy. Lots of roses are completely defoliated by black spot and they recover just fine. Soon the roses will start shedding the leaves for the winter anyway.