Forum home Problem solving

Any ideas what this pesky weed is?

Hi everyone,

This year there have been lots of weeds in our new garden. One that seems to be particularly vigorous is this. It had got into the grass and I’d like to get rid of it before it runs everywhere. 

Any ideas what is and how to get rid of it?

thanks,

Ed

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,724
    I would say creeping buttercup
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    I agree. 
    In grass, you can either use a weed and feed type of product, or if there isn't too much, a selective weedkiller dabbed/sprayed on. They can be dug out, but it isn't easy. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,567
    Yes … Creeping Buttercup. 

We’re just about to tackle a bed of mixed shrubs and perennials that’s full of the blighters as a surprise for mother in law while she’s away … wish us luck … it’ll be hard graft Im afraid. 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,915
    on the upside, the roots are shallow. You need a doofer to get under the central bit because they hang on tight there, but get under them and they come out easy enough. they aren't the worst weed you can have  :)
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 337
    Agreed. It's not the worst, except in a bed with certain geraniums, where it will do a reasonable impersonation to evade detection. Comes up easy enough and at least you can trace the runner around to find the next plant.