Forum home Plants

Grass seed recommendations

CraighBCraighB Posts: 758
Hi guys,

Could anyone recommend a decent quality grass seed? It doesn't need to be bowling green quality and it doesn't need to be too hard wearing as we dont have any dogs running around on it. So an all rounder would be great.

It needs to be able to tolerate a bit of shade as half of the grass will be in shade most of the day.

Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,739
    @CraighB - I just buy stuff from cheapo shops or B&Q. As good as anything else. 
    B&Q had loads when I was in the other day - they're all marked according to the suitability  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 758
    Ah right well I might go for the B&Q universal lawn seed then. I always thought that the better the brand the better the grass but I suppose as long as it doesn't contain lots of weeds then it's going to make a decent lawn.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    You might want to consider the growth rate, some types grow faster and therefore require more frequent mowing.
    When I made a lawn here [about 7 years ago] I used cheap seed from Home Bargains

I no longer have it as I ripped it all out earlier this year.
    I used part of it to fill in an area of the front lawn- it's the best bit of it.  :)

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,498
    The finer grasses are the bents and fescues.  The higher the percentage of perennial rye grass the courser and more hard wearing it will be.  Look at the mix, rather than the make. I've used both of these companies and they were fine. (I have no connection with either.)  You can also find mixes that contain wildflower seeds if you search.

https://www.a1lawn.co.uk/product/platinumrye/a1lawn-platinum-pro-grass-seed-with-rye-

https://www.bostonseeds.com/products/grass-seeds/lawn-seeds/
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
    Fairygirl said:
    When I made a lawn here [about 7 years ago] I used cheap seed from Home Bargains

Looks a nice lawn! Very green :) just shows you don't have to spend a fortune!
    @redwin thanks for the recommendations! I went for the B&Q verve universal seed in the end. I've read good reviews so here's hoping :)
    I had builders in a couple of years later which didn't do it much good, due to all their 'stuff' lying on it for a month.  Then a dry summer followed by more building work needing done, so it was looking a bit rubbish by last year. 
    On a whim, I just decided to bin it. Compost bins are currently full of turf  :D

@Fairygirl Well they can sometimes be so much maintenance especially if you have crap compacted soil underneath. They just never seem to look right. So I'm hoping with this lawn after putting down 10cm of topsoil and digging the ground a bit underneath that it thrives :)
    I think you'll be fine @CraighB. I was intending amending mine a bit, then with the pandemic last spring, and the restrictions we had here, it would have been difficult to do what I wanted to do, so I just decided to change it. I removed a bit last year, but most was done this spring.
    I always need a project to keep me occupied  ;)