Forum home Problem solving

Sarcococca and Box Moth

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,393
edited 11 September in Problem solving
I have finally been invaded by the dreaded Box Moth and am now in the process of removing all my box plants  :'(
Does anyone know if Sarcococca confusa (Sweet Box) is affected by this?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,973
    edited 11 September
    I hope not @madpenguin, because I've got several. I think Sweet Box is just a common name and the two plants are not related but I don't know for sure.
    I started taking out my box hedging this afternoon - 11 bin bags full!
    Good luck with yours.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,393
    edited 11 September
    Took out 2 bushes out today (3 to go) then gave up after tripping over a small fence,saw in hand,onto the patio by way of a metal garden chair,ending up looking down a drain!!!!!
    Bruised knee and slightly twisted ankle but otherwise OK  :|

The Sarcococca (Sweet Box) which is a member of the Buxus family seems to be mentioned as a substitute for the 'normal' box so should be OK.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,375
    Hope you are okay @madpenguin.
    I remember reading somewhere that sarcococca can be affected by box blight, but as far as l can find out they should be safe enough from the pesky caterpillars. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,891
    They're both related, but I've not heard of anyone having  Sarcococcas infected. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,375
    I found the article @Fairygirl, according to the RHS sarcococca are "somewhat susceptible" to box blight. Could be a "Don't blame us, we did warn you" type of disclaimer though  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,891
    Ah - yes @AnniD. I suppose, like many other things, there's an inevitability with certain pests and diseases. 
    It would be a shame if everyone who had box blight replanted with Sarcococca, only to be in the same position a decade down the line though  :/

I think, if I was in that position,  I'd be inclined to go for something totally different!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 417
    For what it is worth , i had a (have - still intact ) sarcococca confusa which was left totally alone by the wretched things that ate all the buxus mini hedge a couple years ago. I asked the forum the same question when i first joined freaked out though!
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,393
    That's good to know.
    My Sarcococca is also untouched but I wanted to make sure it was not susceptible to it!
    The last 3 plants now removed and my Mum has also had to remove hers.It seems to be everywhere this year  :s
  • I have had Sarcococca for a number of years and never had a problem.
    Having said that, I don't have any other Box tho.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,474
    Box caterpillar also just discovered here near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. After several years battling box blight I vowed that the box hedge was going if / when the moth / caterpillar found my garden.

Lots of digging to be done soon😢
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down