Forum home Problem solving

What can be moved

Hello. So. My dahlias are in full swing however we move house in 4 weeks and I want to dig up and take my 20 odd tubers with me. I know ideally they should be left to die down themselves then lifted but my question is will they be ok if I cut them back and lift them before they would naturally be done? Will the tubers be ok and come back next year when I plant them? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Yes.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 508
    And whatever way, you have nothing to lose except the dahlias - you'll definitely lose them if you don't dig them up, so you're increasing your chances of keeping them by digging them up!  My issue seems to be keeping them from rotting over Winter.
  • jw89jw89 Posts: 48
    And whatever way, you have nothing to lose except the dahlias - you'll definitely lose them if you don't dig them up, so you're increasing your chances of keeping them by digging them up!  My issue seems to be keeping them from rotting over Winter.
    This is true… hadnt even thought of it this way. I think I remember someone somewhere suggest storing them in sand to keep them dry and stop them rotting. I thought maybe a big storage box with really dry sand might work? 
  • You can stuff them in a shed in a box, bit of bubble wrap. I tried sand and compost not together,it didn't work