Forum home Problem solving

Allotment Advice - Grass or wood chippings

Good morning all,

I have a very long and narrow plot that I am looking to divide into sections to make it more manageable.  The plot is approximately 150ft * 10ft.

In one section I am looking to make raised beds and either use wood chippings or grass around the beds as paths.  I think grass would look nicer but I am not sure how much the grass would suppress weeds.  Also it is an extra 'job for the weekend' with mowing etc.  Wood chippings are less maintenance but not quite as attractive.  I would like to ask if anyone else is using either method on their plot and if you have any advise regarding this.

Many thanks for your help.

J.

• I don't have raised beds but I do use woodchip for paths as the allotment site gets it free from the local council, I lay thick cardboard or plastic compost bags down and add a thick 2" to 3" layer of chippings, the weeds do still find their way through but it is easy enough to deal with them, the chippings rot down after a few years so have to be replaced. Overall I would rather use woodchip than have to mow grass paths every week, remember in wet weather grass paths can get muddy where chippings don't.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    I'd use woodchip too. Much easier.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you both.  I think that I will go that route.  It does seem the easier choice.  Thanks again. 

J.