Forum home Problem solving

Drooping leaves.

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,416
    edited September 2021
    @philippasmith2 😊 He’s growing them from seed. There are earlier threads … this is one 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1058657/yellowing-leaves-on-young-sapling/p1
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Dovefromabove  Ah, right - I hadn't put 2 and 2 together.     I just wondered if the OP had bought a Bonsai and hadn't been told how to maintain it.
    Don't think it makes much difference re the advice offered tho  :)
    😊  @philippasmith2 … I really don’t think it’s going to do well indoors. It needs a winter to trigger a spell of dormancy. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I've never thought of Paulownia as suitable for indoors as per my initial response to the OP. As I haven't tried it myself, I try not to say No Chance as one of these days, Sod's Law will prevail and prove me wrong  ;)
    Germinating the seed indoors is perfectly reasonable but after that it needs treating as a future tree rather than a house plant.
    As the OP also just said  "Bonsai" in reply to @Fairygirl asking why it was inside, it wasn't clear whether it was established or not.
    I think I'm losing the plot on this one anyway - perhaps due to over consumption of Damsons which I've been picking ( and eating ) on and off this pm.  Another huge crop which means more bloody Jam I suppose.  Just as well there are enough people round here I can offload that, Chutney and the various excess stuff to. Altho even they blanch when I knock on the door.  I'm beginning to feel like a DG salesperson :D

edited September 2021
    @philippasmith2
    damson gin? rumtopf? 
    Or send some  over here and I’ll make damson brandy 
    https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/1448/damson-gin-recipe-2/

Apologies to the OP for going off topic on his thread 😒 

• @Dovefromabove I'll have to look up rumtoph but I don't like any of the spirit based drinks - pity really.  Might be a catapult job to Norfolk  :D
    Ooh - the Tawnies are calling already.  They usually leave it til 2 or 3 am but at least 1 over in the Churchyard now responding to the garden one.   
    Yes, my apologies to the OP too - Damsons and Owls seem a bit more of a drift off topic than usual :)
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,182
    The more you limit the size of a Paulownia, by coppicing etc, the bigger the leaves grow ( up to 1 metre ) makes it sound very un bonsaiable.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
    I agree @punkdoc … the art of bonsai is to restrict growth so that you’re miniaturizing the tree … leaves, bark, everything. 

• Lyn said:
    My friend had lots of bonsai trees, she shows them and belongs to societies,  hers are out doors. Any reason why is your in? 

Ah, yes, apologies for the (very) late response. The reason is I don't have an outdoors, I wanted to give it a try, I like a challenge and this particular tree is very pretty. Worst case scenario it all goes wrong somewhere down the line, lesson learned. Best case, I have a lovely miniature tree or three. Either scenario is a win, cause a lesson learned is future knowledge, and that's never a bad thing.