Forum home Plants

Does anyone know what this is

I am hoping someone can identify this for me. It is growing the other side of my wall and I  was wondering if I could take a cutting from it and if so how I would do it
The picture is a bit dark as it is quite overcast outside

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Mallow of some kind - probably a Lavatera.
    You shouldn't really take cuttings if it isn't yours. If it was hanging right over your wall, that could be different.
    I'm not sure cuttings now is the right time for them though. Someone else who grows them will advise on that. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,292
    It's a hibiscus - I'm sure you can take cuttings but not a plant I grow

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • I would not dream of taking something from some ones garden without their say so.  I would definitely ask first.  I was just wanting to know what it was and if it was possible to take a cutting
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    Fair dos @Pete.8 - I often mix them up. Don't grow either of them. I doubt if hibiscus would like it here anyway   ;)

I wasn't sure about your intention from the wording @susananwms, which is why I wanted to make it clear re asking for permission, that's all.
    You'd be surprised at the number of people who do exactly that and see nothing wrong in it    :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Yes, it’s a hibiscus.  I have one a shade darker in my garden. 
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 2,215
    It is Hibiscus syriacus.
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• Thanks for your replies, I really like the look of it and will try a cutting but if unsuccessful will buy one