Forum home Tools and techniques

Hoses

Tell me about hoses you love, and those you hate.

We have an upwardly sloped longish garden which is fairly narrow (6.5m); thankfully my husband has installed a lot of taps so we don't have to lug one long hose up and down. I've been using a shortish expanding hose which I can pop on and off various taps and get to most stuff with a watering wand and it's been working really well from a practical perspective.

BUT I've just had another expanding hose burst. I love them for their ease of use, and they're fairly reasonable in price, but they don't last all that well and I feel like I'm just adding to landfill.

The decent looking plastic hose reels are still a big ugly hulk of plastic and cost a lot more. I probably only need a 10m reel but I want something sturdy that isn't going to fall apart after a couple of seasons.

Is there some magic solution I haven’t come across? Thanks in advance!

• BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,131
    My wall mounted self winding Gardena hose is possibly the best garden purchase I have ever made. It is very durable, pulls out easily, retracts effortlessly and doesn’t kink.
    Rutland, England
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,061
    I've never had great experiences with garden hoses, but I got one from Aldi that's brilliant and has lasted two seasons. It's got an expanding rubber hose inside a rope-looking polyester sheath. Similar concept to this. When turgid with water the hose expands slightly and feels very taut, but doesn't kink. Then when you turn the water off it goes floppy and is easy to gather it up and put away, or deal with entanglements.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,061
    'Sheath', 'turgid', 'floppy', 'pulls out easily'; I do love hose-talk
  • Every expanding hose I've had just bursts at some point, junk.
    I now have a normal hose, perfect.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    If you only need a 10m hose then the Hozelock micro hose might be a good option. Mrs loves it as she finds it easier to use than our standard size long hose. We have only had it for a few months so can't comment on it's long term quality but the other hozelock hose we have is still good after 3 years and expect it to last for a few more too.

• BenCotto said:
    My wall mounted self winding Gardena hose is possibly the best garden purchase I have ever made. It is very durable, pulls out easily, retracts effortlessly and doesn’t kink.

I've been looking at that sort of thing and the self-reeling concept is appealing. We don't have an obvious spot for a wall mounted hose that could reach everything needed though, and I'm reluctant to shell out even for a great hose if I can only really use it for one 'tier' of the garden.

Loxley said:

:D So many kinks in the hose chat!

I hadn't seen the hybrid hozelock hose you linked to before, certainly looks tougher than their yellow one.

Their micro hose Elfer suggests also looks a good option. Decisions, decisions! But it's great to have options, I'm very glad I asked! Thanks all.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    BenCotto said:

I've been looking at that sort of thing and the self-reeling concept is appealing. We don't have an obvious spot for a wall mounted hose that could reach everything needed though, and I'm reluctant to shell out even for a great hose if I can only really use it for one 'tier' of the garden.

Loxley said:

:D So many kinks in the hose chat!

I hadn't seen the hybrid hozelock hose you linked to before, certainly looks tougher than their yellow one.

Their micro hose Elfer suggests also looks a good option. Decisions, decisions! But it's great to have options, I'm very glad I asked! Thanks all.
    Really happy with my hoselock self reel for years now but think about where you will pull the hose - around wall corners or between plants will mean those things will get damage if you don’t put in some sort of guide.
  • There is a kind of hose that comes in a small reel that flattens it as it is wheeled in. This is not the collapsible type, which always burst, but is like a reel of flat hose when closed. It’s made of fabric and for me lasts very well. A second option is a curly hose, the type that have a larger diameter.  Narrow hoses effect flow. I have three hose stations and keep one hose for each. 
  • The big hose lock, wall mounted reel is also fantastic, accept no substitutes that are a bit cheaper.  One has lasted 20years.
  • https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174897847453?hash=item28b8b95c9d:g:EckAAOSwJZNhHRCa   This one is better than the one’s that burst. They last quite a few seasons. Not as good as the hose lock wall mountable ones, that cost much more but are really really good