Forum home Plants

Gardeners' World echinacea seeds

I grew the Gardeners' World echinacea seeds. They germinated OK and I then transferred the plants into the garden. The plant/leaves resemble spinach, and there's no sign of a flower. The leaves are all growing from the base of the plant. This is unlike the picture on the seed packet and the echinacea I already have, where the leaves grow at intervals along the stem with a flower at the top. Any ideas? Maybe the wrong seeds in the packet?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    They form a basal rosette the first year, which is what you've got. They will flower the second year if the slugs don't finish the plants off over winter.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you, that's really helpful as I didn't know that. I'll try and keep them safe from the slugs!
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 284
    Mine are the same. I'm looking forward to seeing them flower from next year. Don't worry.
  • That's funny,was just saying the very same this week. Could kick myself, went to a Prairie garden yesterday,wish I'd bought a couple. They are perennials aren't they?
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 284
    Yes, perennials