Forum home Plants

Japenese Anemone Contradiction

I have a couple of lovely healthy patches of Japanese Anemones (white and pink) which I would like to divide to plant elsewhere in the garden.
I have just read on the same website that they dislike being moved but the next paragraph advises lifting and dividing congested clumps. 
Can anyone clarify please? Thanks. 

• I find they move perfectly happily ... give them plenty of water if you're moving them when they're in leaf ... otherwise they'll hardly notice.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,844
    They can take a while to re establish and flower, but you can certainly divide them no bother. They'll also seed around.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Lovely, thank you both.

• I got mine from the new neighbour across the road. She wanted to enlarge the patio, relay the path, build a replacement shed etc, so of course I said give me a shout when I can come to take any unwanted plants. The anemones hadn't been touched for years so I just grabbed what I could. Discarding the rubbish I have 3 healthy clumps.

The shrub her son dug out was what you might expect from someone who didn't garden and 'wasn't it going in the skip?'. I gave it a good hole and lots of water and let it get on. I'm not one to 'helicopter' my plants.
    Southampton 
  • If it helps: I had one and it “died” in the frosts in Feb and April. The leaves all shrivelled and I though it was toast. 

I left it and it resurrected itself. 

I let it grow for a month or two and then moved it despite reading they hate being relocated. 

Two days ago:

• I pulled a bit off mine earlier in the year, oops. It did have roots, I stuffed it in the ground, it's now flowering.