Forum home Plants

How to get rid of Spurge

Hello,
have posted before on this subject and got some great help, thankyou
I have dug out best I can, it’s reappeared, have also burnt out between block paving, again, it’s reappeared 
how do I get rid of it please, I do like to use environmental friendly products
some people say a home mix of vinegar and salt 
I trust and welcome anyone’s thoughts on this please

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,863
    neither vinegar nor salt are " environmentally friendly " they poison soil and kill micro organisms living in it. 
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,010
    It seeds very easily so you just have to keep doing a regular hoe to clear the seedlings.   Brushing sharp sand over the block paving to fill the cracks and keep them well-drained may well make it a bit less hospitable for seeds to germinate.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    I presume we're not talking about the annual spurge that pulls up very easily?
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    I think we are.  I am anyway.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,689
    In that case pulling it up seems the best option to me!
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
    Not so easy in block paving but yes, in borders it's the easiest way or a regular hoeing so you get the seedlings when they're small and haven't had a chance to flower and set seeds themselves.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    If you can't dig/pull/hoe  it out, you're better using a proprietary weed killer @johncleme65.
    As already said - home made products are still chemicals, and aren't effective anyway. Those plants will come back. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Many many thanks to all of you