Forum home Plants

ROSES Autumn/Winter Season 2021/22

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    My garden is pretty breezy, the wind whips around the mountains from all directions, I prune to open up bushes and water well and deeply at the roots. Despite all that, I’ve had bad mildew for the first time this year on some new roses. I’m putting it down to the weather. I grow organically so don’t spray, but if it persists next year, I’m going to try spraying with 50/50 milk and water as that’s supposed to work. If it doesn’t, those newbies prone to it are going as I think it looks even worse than blackspot!

As for blackspot, it’s endemic here in my often humid climate, so I just have to live with it, despite doing all the usual hygiene stuff - picking off the worst leaves, regularly clearing up underneath, spreading fresh mulch twice a year etc. In addition I remove the bottom 6” of leaves on the canes before it sets in as I’m going to lose those anyway. That theoretically helps to prevent splash up of the spores with rain.
  • OmoriOmori The NorthPosts: 1,276
    @Marlorena Your aster monch is quite spectacular! 

I’m having a second round of sawfly emerging, little blighters. 

I’ve ordered Plaisanterie to try out and see if I have better luck. I think I prefer Mutabilis but I’ve only seen Plaisanterie in photos so not a fair comparison. Plaisanterie is supposed to be more tough I think? 

I’ve been using SB Invigorator which I think must have helped as my roses are pretty clean for the most part, a rarity this time of year…
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 618
    @pitter-patter Lovely healthy roses :) I'm definitely adding Ebb Tide to my roses wishlist.