Forum home The potting shed

How should we fund Social Care?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736
    In France I pay a "social charge" on my pension and people who go to hospital pay for their board and lodging, but they usually take out an insurance to cover it, also we pay roughly 7€ for each visit to a GP but the poorest people are free. Why shouldn't the British pay a bit more for their health and care, but exempt the worst off?

I would be delighted to pay about £6 to see my GP.  The reality is that it's almost impossible to get through to the surgery, let alone get an appointment to see a GP.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,883
    I'd also be happy to pay a small fee for a GP appointment, but I think the effect would be to put many people off getting problems looked at early.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,736
    JennyJ said:
    I'd also be happy to pay a small fee for a GP appointment, but I think the effect would be to put many people off getting problems looked at early.

I agree that's a problem but as it's difficult to get an appointment anyway it's purely hypothetical round here! :/
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,946
    Just back from hospital

They wanted to move G to a care home where I'd not be allowed to visit for 14 days. 

As he's not likely to live for much longer, if at all. I've agreed / been forced, to have him home again.

The nearest alternative bed is in Bristol which is only 125 miles away.

They can set up a "care package " with home visits: they take 4 weeks to set up. !
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,806
    Well they absolutely can’t send him home until they’ve done that. 🤗 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

he might be home tomorrow
    Devon.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 818
    edited 6 September
    Sorry to hear that, @Hosafan1, what a worrying time. Good luck with sorting the "care package"... they repeatedly told me that although Mum had been allocated 4 30-min visits / day by 2 people (via palliative team), none of the agencies would take it on board as she lived in a village, and they couldn't get staff to come out for such a short visit. Honestly, I did end up saying to them that she was only 10 or so miles from a town, not bloody Timbucktu... It was farcical. I eventually negotiated that they came out for longer, and Mum paid for the other visits... (edit: Mum could afford it, and we didn't regret paying, it was just that, since she was deemed 'palliative' they then give you a certain amount of care non-means tested)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,607
    @Hostafan1 are there no hospice possibilities?
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 311
    Stop MP's using private jets to travel around the country
    Fire said:
    @Hostafan1 are there no hospice possibilities?
    He's not near enough death to be given a bed
    Devon.