Forum home The potting shed

How should we fund Social Care?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,946
    Elderly people may not pay NI now but most of us paid an awful lot during our working life.  I agree about closing tax loopholes and also stopping some capital project like HS2 but NI and tax will undoubtedly have to increase and providing it has a reasonable starting point then people like my daughters would not mind paying a bit more.
    By the way no one who earns over £50k gets child benefit.
    Basically a couple can earn just shy of £100,000 between them and still be " entitled to it? 
    Devon.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,468
    It might say you are eligible but it effects your tax and only becomes viable if you can prove you have more expenses relating to your job than the child benefit provides.  I suppose if your millionaire is self employed then he could fiddle it but for anyone who pays PAYE then its basically a no no.  
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    It might say you are eligible but it effects your tax and only becomes viable if you can prove you have more expenses relating to your job than the child benefit provides.  I suppose if your millionaire is self employed then he could fiddle it but for anyone who pays PAYE then its basically a no no.  
    another "loophole" which needs closing
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,700
    I think child benefit as a concept should be scrapped and the funding go to improved state nursery/primary and secondary education across the board with places for everyone and standards to maintain.   Income support would then go to the most needy - idealistic I know but people shouldn't have children they can't afford.   

As for social care, I think a 1% tax increase for everyone on more than the basic taxable salary would cover it and should include all levels of income up to millionaires and beyond.  No tax dodges for shipping money out to tax havens tho I do think some people with obvious short term careers - eg ballet dancers, some sports people - should have structured taxation with mandatory investment to pay for their lean years.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,746
    There must be a better way of taxing at point of sale. Rather than trusting big companies to pay their taxes we should be collecting them upfront via the banks. Kind of like VAT but the money goes straight to the IR rather than through the company to disappear offshore.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,930
    The way I’m feeling right now, give everyone a happy pill at birth and the population will self regulate over time.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,091
    Hosta, Iike that "if you can't feed it,don't breed it" I do get very annoyed reading,/ hearing people who have never worked, contributed, usually have a bad back,and a lot of kids,as is their 'uman right.The millionaire IS self employed BUT to be fair passed their child benefit to one of my family, who didn't get maintenance,and was single through no fault of their own. Give them their due.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,155
    There are far more old people than there used to be, and the number is likely to continue rising.
    Everyone has to pay, pensioners can no longer say we have paid all our lives, why should we pay now [ I speak as someone in receipt of a pension ]
    Progressive taxation seems the only fair way to me, and far stiffer penalties for tax evasion.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    punkdoc said:
    There are far more old people than there used to be, and the number is likely to continue rising.
    Everyone has to pay, pensioners can no longer say we have paid all our lives, why should we pay now [ I speak as someone in receipt of a pension ]
    Progressive taxation seems the only fair way to me, and far stiffer penalties for tax evasion.
    As I've said before, paying tax isn't a piggy bank. You don't stop paying so you can get it back. 
    Those in work currently pay tax to pay for those who are pensioners now. When we're collecting our pension ( if we live that long ) it's those in work who are paying us ours.
    And let's not forget there are plenty of pensioners who have NOT " paid in all their lives " and plenty of pensioners who are very wealthy.
    Can we stop all this silly " poor old pensioners" nonsense?
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,155
    We agree on an awful lot @Hostafan1, except sport.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root