Forum home The potting shed

How should we fund Social Care?

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 804
    I agree @punkdoc ..... and anyone who is retired doesn't pay any NI on their pension/s. So a whole sector of the population will not be contributing to the social care costs.

If income tax was being used then the burden would be borne by all of us ... with the richest people contributing the most.
    Seems fairer to me.

Good quality social care for all who need it should be affordable in this country ... we are not a poor nation.
    Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,514
    KT53 said:
    If it was 2003 then it was a Labour Government who capped payment but I'm sure they'll try to find a way to blame Boris :-)  He's mucked up enough things without taking the blame for other people.
    When I became self employed , way back in 1987, I attended a course and back then , when you earned over 50K you didn't pay a penny extra in NI. So those on 50K paid the same as those on £500K or £5m
    Devon.
  • We are asked to cough up more for social care but yet...??

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum..

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,310
    Politically National Income is an easier tax to raise than income tax. Because a sizeable chunk of N.I. is borne by employees, the cost of this will only later be felt by the public in the form of higher prices or unemployment. I think income tax would have to go up by 2.5% to get the same result as a 1.25% hike in N.I. The latter could be unpopular but the former might be political suicide.

Not saying it’s right, though.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,705
    We are asked to cough up more for social care but yet...??

But yet what?
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2021
    I read various figures of what the government paid to the NHS for the pandemic - the highest figure quoted was £33 billion.  I then read (unverified) that a third of that went on management salary enhancements and new managerial appointments.  
    The adverts that Chris-p-Bacon has highlighted seem to confirm the lack of focused (ie on actual healthcare) funding. with what might be seen as vanity projects etc absorbing large chunks of our money.  Perhaps a re-evaluation of what is needed over what may be deemed desirable might be in order in these straitened times?
  • JoeX said:

But yet what?
    Are you just being obtuse for the sake of it?
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,705
    JoeX said:

But yet what?
    Are you just being obtuse for the sake of it?
    Ok buddy, goodbye.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 12,258
    edited September 2021
    I don't think £50k pa for a head of dept is that much. Those people need to live and run and house and have kids like everyone else. It's just a regular job; I have friends that do that kind of thing. Seems fair enough to me.
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 528
    edited September 2021
    Fire said:
    I don't think £50k pa for a head of dept is that much. Those people need to live and run and house and have kids like everyone else. It's just a regular job; I have friends that do that kind of thing. Seems fair enough to me.
    Hmm.. a regular job? I think we'll have to agree to disagree there.. quite frankly I think it's a non-job and a gross waste of money.