Forum home The potting shed

How should we fund Social Care?

punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,757
Hopefully most people agree that we need to do something more, than we currently are.
At the moment a rise in NI seems to be the option of choice.
I think that this would be very unfair, in that NI hits the poorer far more than the rich, plus retired people do not pay NI.
Opinions please.
Southern trees bear a strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root

• Certainly agree that an increase in NI contributions isn't very fair for the reasons you mention.
    Without some miracle occurring, it is either a rise in Income Tax which again may affect lower income households compared to others, an increase in Council Tax or the Govt of the day stops wasting money. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,174
    edited 5 September
    Close all the tax loopholes which allow folk to work / earn money here then ship it offshore to pay tax there. Footballers. Google , Amazon,ebay etc. 
    If  you earn money in a country, you should pay tax in that country. That includes foreign owned utility companies

Scrap Trident
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,018
    I agree with all the above.  

Maybe a start could be made by scrapping HS2 .., stopping wasting money on feasibility studies into tunnels or bridges to N. Ireland and other such idiocy, and then re-organising the tax system so that the better off really do pay a proportionate amount of tax rather than making use of tax havens and loopholes 😠
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,556
    edited 5 September
    True, pensioners don't pay NI, I worked from 16 to 65,first Husband gave/left me a lot of debt. Started a pension in my last job,it's tiny,plus my state is all we have,current hubby had to stop work last year through injury,is now 64 so 3 more years till pension age. I feel both NI and tax is going to have to rise,but the lower levels could be protected,by a higher starting point. I got a tiny pension increase,which put me into paying £9 a month tax so that was pretty pointless. I know of one millionaire personally who got child benefit surely that could be means tested
    Husband left school to start work at 15 ( 49 years ago ) and will not live to receive his pension, so I'm making the most of Universal Credit and PIP now that I've fought my way into the system at last
    Devon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,930
    I agree that stopping daft vanity projects like HS2 would help. Tighten tax loop holes. there is a lot of waste.

But social care is such a vast expense that payment restructuring will be needed, with our rapidly ageing population, and many people living so much longer. Issues like diabetes 2, obesity, smoking and alcohol related illnesses make the burden all the more acute.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,454
    Elderly people may not pay NI now but most of us paid an awful lot during our working life.  I agree about closing tax loopholes and also stopping some capital project like HS2 but NI and tax will undoubtedly have to increase and providing it has a reasonable starting point then people like my daughters would not mind paying a bit more.
    By the way no one who earns over £50k gets child benefit.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    I'd scrap universal child benefit too. 
    It's basically a subsidy to overpopulate 
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,556
    edited 5 September
    According to direct.gov child benefit is NOT means tested it says you can elect to stop receiving it at 50k,but are still eligible
    If you're not in receipt of child benefit in 8 months time, you've missed the boat Nobody new to get it. 
    " If you can't feed them: don't breed them "
    I'm sure there are many way of targeting help to those in genuine need
    Devon.