Forum home Garden design

Garden gate hell!

No idea whether anyone can help me but nothing ventured nothing gained. Firstly, I live in Germany (this is pertinent). Attached are photos of the garden gate of the house we bought last year. It is in a terminal state. Now, normally I would purchase two posts, new gate etc and dig big holes, fill em with concrete. However, in Germany there is a predilection toward using post sleeves (also a pic. I couldn’t rotate pics]. I am a little lost with them. Will they be strong enough (posts have hedge either side so gate only has posts for support). Do I set the sleeves in the concrete first or put posts in with supporting bolts and then in concrete? Basically (as you can probably tell} I am somewhat clueless. I have tried sourcing 2.4 metre posts but they are either not available or ludicrously expensive. Any advice, hints, tips, comments are all gratefully received. Oh, you can also get sleeves you just hammer in which is probably why every other fence I see has a rather precarious hold on remaking perpendicular! Cheers 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972

There's a problem with the photo uploading, so I've turned it for you. 
    I got some of those post supports, as I thought it would save me digging around thirty holes that I needed for my boundary fences, but found them worse than useless because you either need to dig out a hole in the usual way, and then the thing is slack so you need concrete anyway, or you need to hammer them in, using a special gadget to stop the top distorting, and it takes a huge amount of effort, especially if the ground is rough and stoney like mine is lower down. That'll be why you're seeing some dodgy looking ones!
    I expect there isn't an easy solution for you if you can't get posts of a suitable size at a good price. Can you get lighter weight posts and bolt them together, or use steel angle brackets to join them?  What about some steel posts of some kind - would there be anything like that available?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,572
    Put a small piece of wood the same thickness as your post in the spike and use that to help you get it set straight, then once the concrete has set you can put the real post in.
    If they are strong enough.. well that depends on the weight of your gate, the spikes I have work fine for fairly heavy things.

That is what you were thinking of originally?
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,304
    I've used them in clay soil.  They worked well, easy to hammer in if the ground is moist. They've lasted over 20 years and still good.  Just put a block of wood over the top when hammering in.  You've only got to do two for a gate.  I can see the problem if you have stony soil though.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,241
    scdettmer69   I suppose the first question is whether your 'predilection' quote reflects an EU/German stipulation or merely a local fashion.  Your choice may also be governed by whether you're in an urban or rural environment, as local by-laws are enforced more vigorously in towns than in the country.  I'm sure all the above advice is more than valid but, once you've ascertained what you're ALLOWED to do, the choice is yours.  Another option (for maximum durability) could be to use PVC fencing products, posts and gates or just posts, that can be concreted in.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,855
    I built a pergola about 30 years ago and used a combination of Metposts hammered into the soil and holes filled with cement (Postfix).
    You can buy a gadget that fits inside the metpost so you can hammer it in.
    30 years on the pergola is still standing. No sign of rot on any of the posts and both methods seems to have worked well.
    Here's one of the Metposts put in 30 yrs ago -

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    I think the problem is the price of the posts and their availability, for the OP @Pete.8.
    The Metposts do work well, but they need concreted to be really effective IMO, just as you've done. I've just given mine to my ex hubby for a section of his garden. I had no chance of getting them into my solid, stony, clay sub base for my fence. It was hard enough due to the concrete footings for the pavement outside.
    There's a huge shortage of concrete products here in the UK too - don't know if it's the same in Germany. I had to replace fence posts recently and it was a PITA not being able to get the Postcrete. Saves a lot of effort.  :)

• Am a little late with my thanks, so, thanks :) Gate, posts and post anchors ordered. Will put a pic of the finished artivle on here, unless it looks rubbish in which case I won’t!! Cheers :) 
    Glad you got something sorted @scdettmer69. Good luck with fitting it all.
    We definitely need to see photos - even if it's not perfect   ;)

• They did -  GW Forum ;)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Bodie and Doyle were busy elsewhere 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh