Forum home Garden design

Layout of new tree with new bench

Some friends and I are donating a new steel bench and new Field Maple to a rehabilitation centre in North Lancashire.  Their garden is new, large and exposed.  There are already flagged paths and initial shrub plantings, but no trees.  We wanted to give a seat and tree for quiet contemplation.   The maple was chosen as a robust tree with interesting colours thoughout the year.  Sun passes all across the site.  Any thoughts about where to position the bench and tree?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Is it possible to have a photo of the site… or failing that a drawing of the layout … with information about which is North etc, any tall buildings in the vicinity etc and prevailing winds. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    That's quite tricky, but presumably the bench can be moved at some point? Or will it be fixed into place to avoid it being pinched?

I'd guess as it's steel, you might want it in a slightly shadier spot though - bit warm if you had shorts on...  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....