Forum home Problem solving

Bamboo - ants in the roots

Hi,
 I purchased a tall Golden Bamboo plant a week or so ago, I noticed it was looking really unhealthy , major leave drop and not looking healthy at all. I have 20 all together and this one really stands out.

I had not repotted yet so decided to do to do it and noticed there is an infestation of ants in the root ball. It looks like they have eaten the roots. Is that possible?

I spent time hosing the root down and hope that flushed many of them out.

But does anyone have any advice? Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Ants often use pots for nests as they provide respite from heavy rain.  While ants don't eat roots, the problem is the tunnels they create (including special drainage tunnels) will result in some roots drying out and dying.  Now you have flushed the, a regular deep watering of the pot will keep them from returning.  However, the ants may move into one of the other nearby pots, so keeping them all well watered should help prevent that.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Colo_hColo_h Posts: 13
    Ants often use pots for nests as they provide respite from heavy rain.  While ants don't eat roots, the problem is the tunnels they create (including special drainage tunnels) will result in some roots drying out and dying.  Now you have flushed the, a regular deep watering of the pot will keep them from returning.  However, the ants may move into one of the other nearby pots, so keeping them all well watered should help prevent that.
    Thank you, it looked like tunnels, so I assume they burrowed through the roots.

This year I have had loads of ant nests, lawn in back and front garden, they seem everywhere. Maybe I am making them move on when I disturb them.

I really don't want then to move into the other pots. I will keep flooding them out. 

Bamboo is quite tough though isn't it?