Forum home Plants

Pictures of your dahlias, please.

FireFire LondonPosts: 10,930
I would love to see everyone's dahlias.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,343
    ..fabulous Dahlias.. I don't have any this year, but I like them all, especially that Mignon Mix and Honka Pink..
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 624
    edited 30 August
     Mmmmm lost the note, this is Fascination. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,930
    edited 30 August
    Lovely pics. Can you say what you make of them too?

For example, this year I have tried lots of new varieties and found that some I planted (Karma Choc)  in too small a pot. Some have scent, which I did not expect. All the root cuttings I did for the first time grew well - which was a shock. I lost one cutting to slug onslaught. I love the longer stem varieties for cut flowers - which is partly why I grow dahlias. I love single varieties too for pollinators. I also like that dahlia droop when thirsty. I like a chatty plant, not one that suddenly turns up its toes with no warning.

I had not foreseen that the root cutting plants would be so very much smaller than previous years, so giving a fraction of the flowers. Obvious, I guess. I got thirty plants out of five tubers, but gave too many away and have many less blooms this year than predicted. I grow only in pots, because of molluscs. Smaller pots go on tables.
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 158
    Great idea! I too would like to see what other people are growing.

Kelsey Annie Joy 
    Ekaterina 
    Fancy Pants
    Totally Tangerine 
    Honka Pink

La Recoleta

Chat Noir

Fabulous blossoms! Would love to hear some tips on how to keep snugs and snails away from the foliage... Even the upper leaves on my Dahlia are getting munched by snails...
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,930
    I keep my dahlias in tall pots and the smaller pots on tables. They still get nibbled, but not too bad on the whole.