Forum home The potting shed

blue powder for ponds

Nick Bailey added some blue powder to his wildlife pond ( in the may 20201 programme ) to help with algae. What was the name of it and where can I get it ?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 10,307
    It's called pond dye - widely available
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pond+dye&oq=pond+dye&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    and welcome to the forum :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • thankyou for that, I've just ordered some.
  • I have pond its driving me crazy with Blanket Weed spent hours pulling it out   Ive tried natural methods  ie Barley Straw 2 different types of powder u use 1 on day 1 n the second three days later. I've baby Newts frogs n water beetles n pond skaters etc in my pond .  I don't want any of them harmed but I'm at my wits end any ideas ??,
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,134
    @lydiabrindley1I51giT-o -It happens when the water warms up. It won't harm wildlife in any way. Once the temps cool down, it'll fade. It can also take a few years for a pond to be balanced, so if it's a new pond, that can be the reason. 
    If the pond's in a sunny site, you need some plants which will give cover to the surface. Ideally, around two thirds needs to have cover. Oxygenators will also help to keep the water healthy. 
    Have you got any plants in there? Some photos of your pond will help with advice  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,285
    @lydiabrindley1I51giT-o, try Nishikoi Clear Waters. It works brilliantly in my pond, much more so than barley straw. I have scores of newts in the pond.
    Rutland, England