Forum home Wildlife gardening

What bird is this?

Spotted on my feeder yesterday and I can't work out what type of bird it is... Is it a young bird?  Or with some sort of disease?  :(

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 7,953
    I think it's a goldfinch - not sure if it's just moulting or if it's had a close encounter with a cat...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • I've cropped the photo to hopefully zoom in a bit...

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 7,953
    On second thoughts, that's not a typical finch beak...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Ah, you've thrown me now as I'd thought it was a young goldfinch too!  The mystery deepens!
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,642
    Looks like a moulting goldfinch to me, beak is typical and the colours look right.
  • Looks like a goldfinch to me as well.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 9,073
    On second thoughts, that's not a typical finch beak...
    Charles Darwin wants a word with you.  :#

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,348
    It's a Goldfinch looking the worst for wear, an adult who has probably had several broods of young and is now moulting.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,782
    That’s what bringing up a family can do to you 🥱😵😵‍💫😨😴
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh