Forum home Problem solving

Please give me some Inspiration

Hi guys, first time poster. I've got this big empty garage wall and I don't know what to do with it. I would like some more creative kindly people to give me some ideas how to spruce it up a bit!  Something low-no maintenance and modern preferred.

Picture attached

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    You need to add some more information. Which way does it face, what sort of soil do you have, how much effort do you want to put in? Also, what do you mean by modern?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Is it on turfed ground?
    If so, it's easy to have some wall shrubs or climbers. However, as you already have a bench there, it might be worth having a pergola, even just a small one, which would give you a decent seating area, and climbers would then be perfect on that too. Paving/gravel can replace some of the turf too. 
    You could also clear the surrounding area for a couple of borders for other planting. It's possible to have low maintenance areas by using shrubs, with just some spring bulbs and easier perennials too. You could even have a pond there. 
    Large pots with seasonal planting, or just as a decorative feature on their own are good [they do need to be big though] and you can add the usual birdbaths or sundials etc. if you like them.
    That would make more of a feature of the area, and if you see it from your house, it can be attractive through winter as  well. A contemporary look using stone and metal is quite easy to achieve. Using structural, evergreen shrubs would fit in with that. 

How much you put it in will depend on your budget and how much time you want to spend on it  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,364
    Is the wall yours or does it belong to a neighbour?
    Devon.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,731
    Hi guys, first time poster. I've got this big empty garage wall and I don't know what to do with it. I would like some more creative kindly people to give me some ideas how to spruce it up a bit!  Something low-no maintenance and modern preferred.

Picture attached
    What else do you have in your garden?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310
    edited August 2021
    The pointing looks less than perfect, so I'd beware of any self-clinging climbers such as Hydrangea petiolaris, parthenocissus or any of the Hederas.  

You'll be better off putting up some strong supports such as vine eyes and wires, if you want climbers to cover that wall ... that way you won't damage the integrity of the building. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Its a neighbour's garage
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Can't fix anything to it without their permission.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• In that case, I think @Fairygirl 's suggestion of a pergola is the way to go. It will not only give you height and opportunity to grow climbers to disguise the wall, but it will give a three-dimensional effect.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,632
    I agree with Pianoplayer and Fairygirl. A smart modern pergola would look very smart against that wall with either the existing bench or new rattan sofas with comfy cushions if the budget allows. A couple of nice pots with structural evergreens each side would finish the area nicely.