Forum home Plants

Wonky tree

Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,388
Saw this when we were visiting somewhere today and thought it was one of the oddest tree structures I've ever seen. I spent a while looking around it, looking for wounds where cuts had been made at some point, trying to working out the story of how it ended up like this!

East Yorkshire

• EmerionEmerion Posts: 576
    My first thought is that it was hedged in the traditional way a very long time ago when it was obviously much smaller. Then it’s been allowed to grow up when the hedge was no longer required. We’ve got a couple of small trees a bit like that where an old hedge was allowed to grow out, but ours are much earlier in the growing out process. Could that walkway have been a road or trackway, bordered with a hedge originally?
    Carmarthenshire (mild, wet, windy). Loam over shale, very slightly sloping, so free draining. Mildly acidic or neutral.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    We have a patch of ancient woodland near us and there are trees like that. I  believe the young tree has been damaged at some point, perhaps wind, livestock, other trees falling against it, but has survived and grown on with the elbow joint. Fascinating.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,754
    They often start like this

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,388
    Posy said:
    We have a patch of ancient woodland near us and there are trees like that. I  believe the young tree has been damaged at some point, perhaps wind, livestock, other trees falling against it, but has survived and grown on with the elbow joint. Fascinating.
    That was my thinking. That it had bent over at some point. The original trunk had to be cut off and that elbow formed with a new shoot that became the new leader. Then it’s got those two newer verticals as well. Funny looking thing!
    East Yorkshire
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Perhaps purposely done for boat or furniture building?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957
    On a trip to Cragside a few years back I spotted this on the land surrounding the estate… 

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,388
    edited August 2021
    @TheGreenMan - that’s brilliant, like a swan! 🦢 
    East Yorkshire
  • FireFire Posts: 18,937
    Great article about the crooked forest @BobTheGardener
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 1,957
    Yes it reminds me of a swan too @Mr. Vine Eye