Forum home Problem solving

Star Jasmin - uk - outdoors - sudden leaf drop - sick plant :(

Hello fellow gardeners. I have a three year old star jasmine growing up a south east facing trellis against a brick wall. This year the growth was fantastic and it flowered for ages, the best ever. And then, during the hot spell we had during July and just afterwards the leaves started to drop off. Slow at first and then every time I touched it or the wind blew the leaves showered down. I thought it might be a lack of water, so watered well. Then I thought it was too much water so stopped. Inspected the plant and couldn’t see any insects but there were sticky bits.  It’s in a very sorry state now and I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar problems and will it grow back next year?  Do you think it could be too hot against the wall? I’ve attached a couple of photos so you can take a look. Any suggestions on what to do would be great 😊 

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    You don't mention or show how it's planted. Hope it's in the ground as they don't do well in pots. Hopefully my comment will urge other members to share their experiences.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    Dry, I would have thought. It looks like it's right up against that wall which will mean it's even drier.
    Can you offer more info @skippy.gill?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    Once a plant gets too dry, the damage is done.  They will drop leaves in the hope of reducing water loss (through the leaves) in order to survive.  

With further details, forum members can give you advice on how to help it recover.  
    Utah, USA.
  • The jasmine is planted in the ground not a pot and I think I might have found the reason. I Climbed up on a chair, specs on and found mealybugs on the underside of the leaves that are left - infested. Not sure where these have come from but also affecting outdoor tomatoes. Despite having lots of wildlife attracting plants, I haven’t seen many ladybirds this year or bees for that matter so need a plan on how to treat the jasmine. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    Yes - but the mealybugs are there because the plant is stressed. How close to the wall is it planted   ? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• skippy.gillskippy.gill Posts: 3
    Hello fellow plant lovers… nearly one year on and after much tlc the Jasmine is back 😊. Not quite as vigorous as before last years problems but getting there.  I stripped the plant back at the end of summer last year to all but a few leaves and exterminated the mealy bugs by hand armed with a tooth pick and some wildlife friendly spray. I also gave it regular doses of liquid seaweed. I’m really chuffed as it’s a beautiful plant to have and smells Devine. Happy days 😊. Now to sort out the blueberries - the birds are eating them! 

• BiljeBilje Posts: 695
    Congratulations on all your hard work…it paid off. I’ve recently bought a Jasmine after being on holiday by Lake Garda and walking past banks of them used as hedges. Mine is still being nurtured .. NE England ain’t Italy. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,172
    Well done. I'm glad it's come back for you.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,573
    Right side up

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).