Forum home Problem solving

Buxus problem

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,731
I have a buxus topiary ball - or the remnants of one. I’m suspecting box tree caterpillar as I can see wispy webbing…so burn it?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    There are pheromone based treatments/deterrents but I'd just say replace them with something that won't be a maintenance hog. I've made the switch to yew and small leaved euonymus and haven't regretted it one bit. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Some Hebes are also a great alternative - there are plenty which are small leaved, and work well if you want a globe. Buxifolia, is very similar to box. Clue's in the title  ;)
    I've used them in the past for that effect, and there's one called Margaret which is nice. A bonus of flowers too.
    The only problem is that they can suffer in very cold winters, and they don't always appreciate being harshly pruned.  A lot depends on your climate though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,731
    Is my diagnosis correct, and is fire better than garden waste?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    It probably is @JoeX, assuming you can do that, but it's not something we really have here, so I'm not sure    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,306
    If it's a green waste municipal bin it would be fine. Otherwise if you can burn then, then why not. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AthelasAthelas CambridgeshirePosts: 645
    edited August 2021
    I have Euonymus japonicus 'Green Spire' as a topiary ball, quite happy with that, though the leaves are somewhat larger than box. Euonymus japonicus 'Jean Hugues' could be another option. 

I also have Hebe 'Green Globe', very pretty. There's also Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Golf Ball' to consider, if you are after a replacement round green shrub.