Forum home The potting shed

Seals need protection from louts

13»

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,847
    Protest is fine but pi88ing off the very people your hoping to influence is monumentally stupid.
    For anyone who doesn't want to click the links. One is The Sun 'news'paper saying XR 'hijacked' remembrance day when a military veteran added an XR slogan to his poppy wreath to remind others what all those people, and himself, fought and died in wars for. Chris obviously thinks that they died to help keep rich people rich. Another is the one where they dug up a bit of grass at Cambridge University in protest at the University investing in fossil fuels. Another is someone breaking a window at the HSBC bank. Widely regarded as one of the most corrupt banks in the world and obviously the kind of institution that listens very hard to peaceful protest.

So what's your better plan, Chris? "Please, sir, can you give up your billion pound investments in the fossil fuel industry? No? Ok never mind thanks for listening. I'll just go back to my minimum wage job and leave you to feed orphans into your orphan grinder". Keep signing the petitions that are being ignored in parliament?

It's predicted that we have less than 10 years to get some radical action under way to reverse climate change and you think peaceful protest is going to make any difference?

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • A protest is actually designed to cause disruption - it has more impact and therefore sticks in the mind of those affected by the disruption as well as the media.  Doesn't mean you condone abuse or criminal damage which does undoubtedly occur on some occasions.
    Why do you think the Trade Unions in the 70's and early 80's opted for maximum disruption when they chose to go on strike ?  If it doesn't impinge on daily life, it is soon forgotten.
    We are all entitled to protest about things we feel strongly about - even on a Gardening Forum as can be seen from the various threads/posts.
    How various protests around the world are seen/reported ( often in error as later shown) will naturally depend upon your point of view re the subject.
    Are there any women who look back at the actions of the Suffragettes and think they went a bit far?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142

Can't really see how flogging anyone teaches them that violence to anyone or anything is morally reprehensible ...

Rehabilitation MAY work for some but some are beyond that and need a short sharp kick up the pants, being kind or nice just doesn't work.
    Do you really think that being violent is the only way to be firm or enforce the law?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 939
    edited August 2021
    Protest is fine but pi88ing off the very people your hoping to influence is monumentally stupid.
    For anyone who doesn't want to click the links. One is The Sun 'news'paper saying XR 'hijacked' remembrance day when a military veteran added an XR slogan to his poppy wreath to remind others what all those people, and himself, fought and died in wars for. Chris obviously thinks that they died to help keep rich people rich. Another is the one where they dug up a bit of grass at Cambridge University in protest at the University investing in fossil fuels. Another is someone breaking a window at the HSBC bank. Widely regarded as one of the most corrupt banks in the world and obviously the kind of institution that listens very hard to peaceful protest.

So what's your better plan, Chris? "Please, sir, can you give up your billion pound investments in the fossil fuel industry? No? Ok never mind thanks for listening. I'll just go back to my minimum wage job and leave you to feed orphans into your orphan grinder". Keep signing the petitions that are being ignored in parliament?

It's predicted that we have less than 10 years to get some radical action under way to reverse climate change and you think peaceful protest is going to make any difference?

Dear oh dear..

Anyway..back in the real world..

Wait until these pillocks effect your business or put your staff (and themselves) in danger. I've experienced these clowns first hand - they're idiots.
    Climate change already affects my business and puts my family in danger. Obviously I must live in a different real world to you. :/
  • KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2021
    Kili said:
    KT53 said:
    Seals are already protected throughout the UK so a petition isn't required.  What is required is the law to be enforced.  Unfortunately there aren't enough police to do that.  A petition to increase police numbers would be far more use.
    Too busy having to deal with those morons from XR...ironically.

@Chris-P-Bacon

"Extinction Rebellion is an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse."

You may not agree with their methods , but "those morons" as you call them are trying to save the planet for our future generations. There are morons amongst us, but with regard to saving the planet I suspect you could label most of us rather than them as such.
    Ok..how about disrespectful mindless vandals. 
    Maybe they should try these stunts in Beijing?

"
    Maybe they should try these stunts in Beijing?"
    Have you ever been to Beijing. I have and you wouldn't try anything like that there I can assure you. Your suggestion they do so is ridicules given that we all know this is an authoritarian regime.

The whole point is to pi$$ off those in power to make them sit up and take notice else who would take notice, they got your attention, but it seems the message you take from their protests is its inconvenient to business not detrimental to future generations of our children.

"how about disrespectful mindless vandals."
    No that's not acceptable either. How about caring people trying to do what's best for your children (if you have any) and everyone else by taking action which clearly brings to the attention of the masses what we all conveniently ignore because it suits us.

Anyone committing acts of vandalism should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but to label a whole organisation as morons and mindless vandals because of the actions of a few is not really fair is it.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    Climate change already affects my business and puts my family in danger. Obviously I must live in a different real world to you. :/

Well said @wild edges sums it up nicely  :)

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,289
    There's only one question really isn't there?
    Which is more important : Having a habitable world or me doing what I want?
    The problem is what to do with those who get it wrong.
    Perhaps send them to the Sahel to find out for themselves?