Forum home The potting shed

Seals need protection from louts

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,518
    KT53 said:
    Seals are already protected throughout the UK so a petition isn't required.  What is required is the law to be enforced.  Unfortunately there aren't enough police to do that.  A petition to increase police numbers would be far more use.
    Too busy having to deal with those morons from XR...ironically.

The morons from XR who apparently left tons of rubbish behind when they left.  Looks like we need to protect the planet from XR!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,829
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,457
    Bring back the stocks , with free buckets of rotten fruit.

Either that of we go for a bit of seal lout bludgeoning.

• Unfortunately it isn't just louts that bother the seals it can be well meaning but unexperienced people as well. We walked the beach on Christmas day as we always do and there was a young seal on the beach. We gave it a wide birth but the amount of people who crowded around it because they were worried about it. We were stopped and asked if we knew who to call and we said the best thing is to leave it alone. It will have swam from the sandbanks where the adults were and was just resting up because it was so little. They didn't take that as a sufficient answer and believed it was abandoned. We got the relevant bdmlr page up which explined exactly as we had said but still they thought they knew best and were trying to get an obviously scared and exhausted young seal back into the water.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Bring back the stocks , with free buckets of rotten fruit.

Or perhaps make use of all that dog sh*te that's everywhere....whether in bags [ >:)] or just deposited on any surface in parks or pavements. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,829
    Just take their toys away. If they want to act like children make the punishment fit.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,086
    edited August 2021
    I see that a lot with fledgling birds that are on the ground, over worried people trying to pick them up, there is a big difference in a baby bird out on its first trip and an injured or sick bird, if these people are so worried then they should read up on the subject from a respected website, one time a know it all type had a baby blackbird in a box, I told him to leave it but he retorted he knew what he was doing as he had read about it on farcebook !

@fidgetbones throwing waste food than can be put to a better use is not the answer, we need to bring back something far stronger, flogging comes to mind but society has gone too soft for that.

Can't really see how flogging anyone teaches them that violence to anyone or anything is morally reprehensible ...

Years ago there was a Borstal in Suffolk which was run as a farm, using Suffolk Punch horses as working horses and as teaching aids ... it turned around many young hoodlums who were given responsibility and the chance to build a relationship with creatures that were dependent on them for their well-being.  There are many verified accounts of former wild tearaways volunteering to sit up with a pregnant mare at foaling time, and I've seen a young man crying tears of pride when the horse he cared for, groomed and paraded in the showing ring won its class at the Suffolk Show.  

The farming side of it was closed down as  deemed uneconomic, and it's just a Cat. C prison now ... I expect that one day another generation will have the idea of introducing young folk to working with animals and find that it actually works ........... until once again it's deemed to be uneconomic ............ we keep on re-inventing the wheel.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    edited August 2021
    KT53 said:
    Seals are already protected throughout the UK so a petition isn't required.  What is required is the law to be enforced.  Unfortunately there aren't enough police to do that.  A petition to increase police numbers would be far more use.

@Chris-P-Bacon

"Extinction Rebellion is an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse."

You may not agree with their methods , but "those morons" as you call them are trying to save the planet for our future generations. There are morons amongst us, but with regard to saving the planet I suspect you could label most of us rather than them as such.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Years ago there was a Borstal in Suffolk which was run as a farm, using Suffolk Punch horses as working horses and as teaching aids ... it turned around many young hoodlums who were given responsibility and the chance to build a relationship with creatures that were dependent on them for their well-being.  There are many verified accounts of former wild tearaways volunteering to sit up with a pregnant mare at foaling time, and I've seen a young man crying tears of pride when the horse he cared for, groomed and paraded in the showing ring won its class at the Suffolk Show.  

The farming side of it was closed down as  deemed uneconomic, and it's just a Cat. C prison now ... I expect that one day another generation will have the idea of introducing young folk to working with animals and find that it actually works ........... until once again it's deemed to be uneconomic ............ we keep on re-inventing the wheel.  
    Totally agree.  Many of those who become swept up in crime and are unable to comprehend the results of their actions are helped by being introduced to caring for animals and being responsible for their welfare.
    More often than not, this translates into a more caring attitude towards people in general and an understanding of the damage their previous behaviour caused.
    As said, it's not new - focusing on what has worked in the past is not a bad idea - we've already got the wheel - just a bit more oomph is needed to keep it turning ;)
  • Kili said:
    KT53 said:

@Chris-P-Bacon

"Extinction Rebellion is an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience in an attempt to halt mass extinction and minimise the risk of social collapse."

You may not agree with their methods , but "those morons" as you call them are trying to save the planet for our future generations. There are morons amongst us, but with regard to saving the planet I suspect you could label most of us rather than them as such.
    Ok..how about disrespectful mindless vandals. 
    Maybe they should try these stunts in Beijing?
    Protest is fine but pi88ing off the very people your hoping to influence is monumentally stupid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How low will the XR idiots go? Answer below.<br>They should hang their heads in shame. <a href="https://t.co/wh5yxiQjyi">https://t.co/wh5yxiQjyi</a></p>&mdash; Dan Wootton (@danwootton) <a href="">November 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://images.app.goo.gl/GyEioKvzYi2YdaeB7

https://images.app.goo.gl/SrSdc9UaWsrDo57G9