Forum home Problem solving

new turf maintenance help

i’ve recently had new turf laid in my garden, i have been watering it everyday to start, then cutting down weekly if it’s rained etc, and it’s had two cuts so far on the longest setting on the mower-if has started to look a bit brown in places but i’m not sure if that is thatch i’ve read about, or to be expected while the turf settles in? There is also a few mini mushrooms but again i’ve read this is nothing to panic about?
Ive read not to seed or fertilise a new lawn so haven’t attempted that, and haven’t walked on it etc other than to move the sprinkler- do i need to rake it or will that damage it? 
Very inexperienced with lawns but more than happy to spend time making it look green and lovely so looking for advice from anyone that may have some hints?! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    When you say it was laid recently, how recently?
    New turf shouldn't really be walked on, let alone cut, for quite a while. It just prevents it rooting properly. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• it was done at the start of july 😊
    Quite new then.  :)
    The edges of the grass look torn - is the blade sharp on the mower?
    That's quite important - especially when cutting newly laid turf, as it isn't well rooted to the ground below, and it pulls the turf up instead of cutting cleanly. 
    The mushrooms are a perfectly normal appearance, especially after it's been wet, so no need to worry about those. 
    Certainly don't use a rake on it, as that will pull it out and weaken it.  :)

I'd just let it get on with growing for now, and just cut it 'gently' - ie only taking off around a third of the height each time, and try to do it when the grass is dry, although that isn't always possible. I'm assuming the ground was well prepped before the turf went down ? That's also quite important for getting a good end result. 
    By the time it's well settled in , it'll be coming into winter, so the growth will slow down [although that depends on where you live] and then you can look forward to tackling it next year.  ;)

• thankyou so much for replying, i’ll definitely look at the mower, it’s a relatively new petrol one but i’ll check that. how often would you suggest mowing it while it is settling in? 
    edited August 2021
    That's a 'how long is a piece of string?' question  :)
    You have to be guided by your climate. In drier, cooler weather, it won't grow so quickly, and in warm, wet weather it's the opposite.
    Most people are cutting weekly - approximately - at this time of year. The height you cut is also determined by that. Little and often creates the best lawn, but it's a balance when it's that newly laid. When I did a new lawn here, I sowed seed. It was done in June, as we can usually be assured of enough rain to get it germinating. I waited until it was around 4 inches before cutting, which took about four or five weeks, maybe slightly longer,  if I recall. It took a couple of cuts to get it to a nice length, doing it a little at a time.

It may be that you've cut too soon, and those bits that look chewed, were just not established enough to cope.