Forum home Problem solving

Raspberry problems

I have a fruit cage for my raspberries. Yr 1 I moved the canes to the new cage in the winter.In the summer the canes grew healthily but then the leaves started to go yellowy any fruit which were developing died. So no raspberries. 
I asked many people what the problem might be anf think it was the white thread like fungus near the roots.
Yr 2 Cleared all the soil from the cage disposed of the canes and started again with new soil and new canes. 
so this summer most of the canes did not grow at all and the ones that did again died off before producing fruit. 
Any ideas. 
The blueberries in the cage are fine.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,568
    Hello @annemason1958 and welcome to the forum 😊 

How much watering did the raspberries get?  They are incredibly thirsty plants and this last spring was unusually dry, just at the time the canes should’ve been springing into action. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,102
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Do you know which variety they are?
    Do you know if your soil is acidic/neutral/alkaline?
    Is the site where they are panted generally wet or dry?
    Do they get a reasonable amount of sun?

There are several reasons for yellowing that I'm aware of - there may be others too.
    A deficiency of some sort
    Raspberry leaf blister mite - I've just dug my Glen Moy up as they had it and will replace with a resistant variety. This doesn't affect autumn raspberries.
    One of several viruses that can affect them.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thank you for your ideas.
    I planted 2 varieties one summer one autumn.
    I haven't tested the soil but will do. 

I think I watered enough. 
    All I can think is the trees / plants around the cage have grown very well and now created shade but that wouldn't stop them growing in the first place. 
    Any comments about the soil. ??