Forum home The potting shed

Loads of flies and leaves shedding off Salix Kilmarnock

Hi,  I purchased two Salix Kilmarnock trees in April, they have grown so well, although not had the white fur bits on end.  Recently, the leaves had started to go brown, crispy and fall off but so have other leaves which aren't brown and crispy.  I've noticed in the last two days the leaves that are on the tree, are swarmed with flies, they are like blue bottles.  Is the tree dying?  Should the leaves be shedding? How do I get rid of the flies?
Thanks, Karen

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,153
    Willows are generally thirsty trees.  Are yours planted in well prepped ground and kept watered to allow them to establish?  Or are they in containers where the same applies.
    If they are young plants, sun and harsh winds can crisp the leaves.
    Check around the trees for dead animals/birds which will attract Bluebottles.  This is the season for all sorts of flies/insects tho - it's normal I'm afraid.
    Perhaps a photo of the tree and the flies may help someone to give you more concise info/advice re a possible pest infestation.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327
    I'd say very dehydrated too. They need shedloads of water, especially when planted, and even more so in dry weather, which many areas had huge amounts of in spring this year.

The 'white furry bits' are the catkins- ie the flowers. You won't get those until it's well established, and flies are prevalent just now  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....