Forum home Problem solving

What type of garden weed is this?

Hi all, in the process of redoing a garden and have removed this weed several times - however it keeps returning and spreading.

Any advice on how to remove for good please before I lay a new lawn?

Thank you.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Horsetail - good luck with getting rid of that... :/
    There are loads of threads about it. Nothing much works apart from constant hoeing, vigilance and strong weedkiller after crushing the foliage to help it take that up.

You won't really get rid of it - it goes for miles underground and has been on the planet since time began. Sorry!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Oh dear.  You've got 'horsetail' there, unfortunately.  It's a devil to eradicate, although if you bruise the stems then apply a tough weedkiller you might discourage it a bit.  Notoriously difficult to get rid of.  The black, tough, wiry roots go down to Australia.  Good luck.
  • Haha perfect. I thought it would be something like that!!

Thanks for the reply. Will just continue to keep pulling them out!
  • I've found that's all you can do, matthew, just try to keep on top of it by pulling it up.  You'll probably never get all the roots out though.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,400
    Once you lay the grass, mowing should discourage it a little. Just make sure to dispose of the mowings . Any little bits you drop will root.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I have some SBK weed killer in the garage. Would it be a good idea to spray it with that to slow it down a bit? Or am I wasting my time and better to just pull it by hand?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557
    It'll only slow it down for a short while then it'll be back as usual.  If you're going to grass the area I'd dig out as much as you can ... and then turf or sow the lawn ... regular mowing will control it as well as any other method, and then you've only got the borders to worry about.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Another idea….the section where I have the weed, could I dig it out, put a couple of layers of membrane down, and then put soil back on top? Or will it still find its way through?!
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
    I've heard that the roots can go down a LOOOONG way and membrane (starving it of light) doesn't help either.  I've seen it coming through ashphalt
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557

Yes … this pic is online but I’ve seen it break through tarmac loads of times. 

I’d not use a membrane … it’ll just creep sideways and come out at the edges … at least without membrane you can attack it with a spade from time to time … when you’re feeling very peed off with something. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh